Thursday, April 12, 2018

IA2 Role Model

For my business interview, I interviewed a current business graduate student, his name is Alec, and he chose to keep his last name private.  Alec is involved in the marketing and entrepreneur club and his mother is a Chatham Alumni, she inspired him to pursue his graduate career in business and to study here at Chatham.
 I asked Alec how to find good campus and off campus jobs that help will me pursue my career.  He advised me to go to as many campus events that interest me, or related to my major.  He said to get close with the department in which my major relates too and to take advantage of all guest speakers that come to campus. He said that asking others for business cards is very important especially to create a good business profile.
I wanted to know how to find and benefit from different campus events and activities.  He advised me to invite friends to tag along to campus events, get to know more people, express my knowledge with others.  Alec said that mychatham has a bunch of campus events to attend, and to keep up with emails from staff because they often email about campus events.
To plan for good internships, Alec said that building my resume is very important, mostly when it comes to finding potential internships to pursue.  He said to get involved in LinkedIn and find all opportunities meeting new people that have a job in the field you want to have a career in.
Lastly, I asked Alec how to participate in meaningful projects, competitor activities to help develop skills over time, and he advised me to take advantage of all hands on activities, and do any extra credit offered to enhance all knowledge in that area and to use all skills that I am talented in to make them stronger.  Getting involved on campus is his biggest piece of advice in becoming successful.
Some study skills he suggested were, to study close to two hours a night and to always make note cards, he advised me to make study groups with friends and peers and to watch any education video relating to that subject.  To build a good resume, Alec says that gathering all skills and determine which define you in the best ay, he also said to take all job/internship opportunities into consideration and to continue learning new things and to get involved on campus and in your community.
I decided to relate my interview to the Chatham Insight blog on Dr. Stephanie Rosenthal.  Dr. Rosenthal says that hands on training and working with others is very important criteria when looking for potential jobs.  Dr. Rosenthal is still continuing on strengthening her skills in communication and writing, just as Alec advised me to always continue practicing my skills because they will only get better and stronger.  I think that having skills in different subjects and areas of interest are important because they will always benefit you.  Dr. Rosenthal is using applied science data analytics to strengthen her students knowledge and skills and her  students can gain understanding of multiple information systems.  I think that Dr. Rosenthal has a great approach towards her teaching style and helping others learn in a more efficient way.


-Emily Howe


No comments:

Post a Comment